Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cedar Breaks and Fairyland...

I started my days off with a trip to Cedar Breaks national monument (after a brief stint in Cedar City, where I found THAI FOOD!) It was absolutely amazing, and I've been having a month full of withdrawals. Anyways, Cedar Breaks is absolutely gorgeous, complete with more canyons and lots of forest. The place is located alongside highway 14, which I have decided, if I have ot live in Utah, that's where I'm going! The area was beautiful, but a very small place with only a couple hikes.
I did one hike to a place called Alpine Pond, some of the few water I have seen since I have arrived in this very very dry state. I paused momentarily for pictures and was immediately eaten by mosquitoes, so unfortunately I moved on quickly. But the vistas and the view points were absolutely amazing and the drive was incredibly beautiful. It's a must see if you make it to this area.
That night it was a full moon and a friend and I went for a moonlit hike along the rim under the full moon. It was so amazingly bright, allthough we made it back around 5:30 in the morning and I definitely slept until three in the afternoon to make up for it. When I did finally emerge from bed I went for.... another hike! I hiked this 8.4 mile loop called fairyland loop. It was gorgeous and much more wooded than a lot of the other hikes through the hoodoos. The flowers were absolutely gorgeous, lots of indian paintbrush, one of my favorites.


I am glad I finally got back out on a hike in this park, although their aren't many to choose from and one of the most daunting parts of hiking here is the fact that once you go down, you're always going to have to hike back out of the canyon. Not only are you regaining elevation, but the uphill takes FOREVER. But, if I do say so, it's totally worth it.
We just lost an employee in the gift shop, as she got a job with the school district (something she has been trying to get for several years). As a result, my manager has redone the schedule and put me on mornings two days a week, which means I get there at 7:30 in the mornings... I'm so not a morning person. The other day on my 15 minute break, I actually fell asleep on a jacket in the back room... We've been really slow as well now that all the Utah schools have or are about to restart. the last week has consisted of mostly Europeans who just have a harder time carrying on conversations with us, which also makes the day go much slower.

The stars here are totally amazing and there is absolutely no light pollution. It's amazing what you can see outside of the city and away from all the people, especially now that we are starting to slow down. Having spent the last four years in Eugene, I needed a few stars, and hopefully some snow later in the season.
Other than that, it's pretty much the same. I am stoked to say, Megan, Katie and Felice arrive in two days for some epic adventures including VEGAS! My boss was kind enough to give me three days off which is very exciting. I promise we'll only cause a little bit of trouble.









No comments:

Post a Comment