Friday, August 6, 2010

The moment you've all been waiting for....

I went for a hike today before work (well if you can call half of it being a cement path a hike). Rather, I went for a walk, an exploration of my homeland for the next three months and discovered innumerable "holy crap" moments of dumbfoundedness! This place is stunning!
This is taken from a place called Upper Inspiration point! Here I did my usual making friends by offering to take their pictures and such. But the place is breathtaking. It's weird to think you could look out over all of these "hoodoos" as they are called and think that at one point that was a solid stretch of land. It's amazing what erosion can cause over the years. And geologically speaking, look at all the strata. The time scale is so immense. (Maybe more scientifics later!?)

At first I was a little upset at the paved nature of half the path, but then I realized the beauty of handicapped access. Everyone should be afforded the opportunity to see the great places in our world. This is especially true because so many people lose the value of nature and don't actually seek it out any longer. After I got of work tonight at 10:30, I trekked for the third night in a row to the canyon rim to watch another lightning storm (which I've had the privelege of witnessing every night since I've been in Utah.) This one was just ending in the distance though and the stars were flooding the sky. I t was so incredible and quiet. I even got to hear multiple owls hooting throughout the canyon. I've definitely discovered an amazing adventure.

And of course, the reason many of you have been checking this blog... Me in a bowtie! (It's a good thing this is only a shoulder up shot, the vest is SOOOO mcuh worse than the bowtie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment