called) areas of Lake Powell. After a nice dinner (not employee dining room food) we had a fire and hiked down to the lake under an almost-full moon.

The next day, we traveled back through Capitol Reef and went hiking along a side-road called Upper Muley Twist. I could only make it so far back in my car, so we had to hike the remaining 2.5 miles of the road. We saw some natural arches, lots of wild flowers, and lots of beautiful cliffs. Once we reached the end of the road however, the sky was black in the distance.

We thought we had time to hike this half a mile overlook of the canyon, which provided us with the view above, but when we got there and looked back, the sky had surprisingly gotten blacker. Originally we had thought it was heading past us, but there was no avoiding it now, the entire sky was black. We began a quick hike back and out of nowhere, huge raindrops combined with pea-sized hail poured down upon us. It hit so hard that I thought the strong winds around us had blown debris into me, but then I glanced down and saw huge water droplets on my clothes. We began a run for a cave ahead of us, and within seconds were pretty much drenched. We got to the cave just in time, but after only a couple minutes water began pouring down the roof of the shelter on to us, so we had to run back out in the weather to keep from getting drenched that way.
I was really worried that my car wouldn't make it out, especially since the road we were hiking on looked like the picture above. I was completely nervous about driving down the road and out of the canyon, but we survived, completely drenched and cold. All in all, it was a surprising and amazing experience to be in a small flash flood. It was terrifying and shocking, and I definitely can't imagine being in and surviving a large flash flood. Afterwards we tried to do a few hikes, but dark clouds continued forming in the distance making us relatively nervous. The trip was amazing though and we experienced some amazing nature, and some phenomenal places. It was well worth it, and yes I understand the danger level involved. But we're o.k., so I can't help but view the craziness, the force, and the uniqueness of it, as a truly unique and awesome experience.
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Adventures with water....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment