
I just finished backpacking the grand canyon. 28 miles in two days, a trip of a life time, and it was amazing, but it totally kicked my butt. I drove to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon after work wednesday night, and pitched my tent in the rain. I spent a very cold night tossing and turning in a wet tent. In the morning as I drove to the trailhead, it started snowing. I was completely debating the trip, but then the sun began to peak through the clouds. There was a low fog hanging in the valley when I initially started the hike.

The first stop was 1.7 miles down at Supai Tunnel. Here was also the first stop for water. The sun was still out, but the clouds were covering the valley so I didn't get a lot of great views of the canyon, which probably was good so that I didn't know exactly what was in store for me... Looking back after the hike, the canyon was completely daunting. Fortunately I dropped my gear halfway down and pitched the tent before the rain hit.

It rained the last four miles down and the last three miles up. What I didn't get to see on the way down though, I got to see on the way back, and vis-versa. It worked out well. I hiked 21 miles the first day, 14 miles from the rim down to the Colorado river and Phantom Ranch, and then 7.2 miles back up to Cottonwood campground. I had to hike for about 2.5 hours in the dark the first day, but fortunately it was almost a full moon so I had enough light to hike without a flashlight.

I crawled into my tent that night and completely crashed, but fortunately my tent was dry again! I woke up once for about a minute because I was cold. I rolled over, grabbed my ski hat, pulled my hood up and curled back up in my sleeping bag. I slept so well.

The second day, I had only 6.8 miles to go, but they were all up-hill. It took me 5.5 hours to hike out of the canyon that day. One of the interesting things along the way, was this little spot (above) where water was actually bubbling out of the ground. It was really strange.

It was really the last four miles that were the steepest part of the trail. Right before the substantial uphill portion, there's a place called roaring springs, where a waterfall shoots straight out of the side of the cliff. Right at the base of it, was also a helipad. The whole scene felt very Jurassic Park-esque, especially with the clearing fog in the morning of the first day.


Above is the Bridge to the South Kaibab Trail (I was on the North Kaibab trail). This continues up to the South Rim. There's another bridge just down river from this one as well that heads to the south rim on the Bright Angel Trail. Bright Angel Creek, is the stream that followed the trail all the way down the North Kaibab Trail. That's also the creek I am crossing on the bridge in the picture below. The trail started out in hilly aspen groves, then traversed along cliff faces. After reaching the bottom, the valley opened up for 5-6 miles, eventually to close in again in what's known as "the box" as seen in the photo below.
Hiking back up the canyon on the first day when it was dark, I could see the lights of El Tovar, the lodge on the south rim, on that cliff face in the distance, seen in the picture below. This picture was taken about halfway out of the canyon, and the Colorado runs right in front of the south rim cliffs seen in the distance. That's a good example of how far I had to hike, especially since that was only about 7 miles away out of the total 14 one-way.


The picture above shows how far I have to hike still on the second day. I have to hike up above the cloud cover seen in the distance of the picture. It was an exhausting trip out. The picture below shows how far I've come, complete with the helipad as a tiny dot in the distance. Once down at the bottom, the trail turns to the right and continues down the canyon, but you can't see that far.


Both of these pictures show how the trail is cut into the side of the cliff at the beginning as well as the end of the hike. But, on the hike out, the fog wasn't as heavy so you could see more views of
the canyon, you could also see how freaking far, I have left to hike. OY!


The above picture shows Supai Tunnel, this means only 1.7 miles left!!!!! I was so happy, unfortunately it started raining for that last little bit. It was beautiful though and as I said a trip of a lifetime. I'm so glad I did it and if I do get to hike it again, I will definitely not attempt it in just 2 days. It was exhausting, and other than some bruised and sore toes, my muscles aren't too bad. Fortunately, I'm not walking with a limp anymore. I've recovered, and it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment