Thursday, November 4, 2010

Goodbye Bryce Canyon!

So, I've officially left Bryce Canyon, but not before we got at least one snow! It made the day go by so quickly, until of course it started to melt, but there were still patches a week later! I love the snow! The above is the only picture I ever took of the lodge, and I LOVE SNOW, so it seemed to work out. The below picture, however gross, is a result of my grand canyon backpacking trip. That picture was taken about a week ago too, it's gotten blacker since then! Gross I know, but what a battle wound!

Anyways, I said many goodbyes in my last week, including Mary Kay, the woman seen without a vest in the below picture. She is from Texas and was in the Navy for 20-some years. She is a very feisty southern dame. I don't much care for the long drawn-out goodbyes. Rather I prefer the hug and the subtle unsaid idea that we might cross paths again in the future, whether planned or un-planned. Either way, seeing every person, hugging them, saying goodbye, then repeating is far sadder than departure really is. In my opinion we're all off to the next wonderful adventure and I can't wait to hear about them all. You don't see a group of individuals like those found at adult summer camp and expect an adventureless future.

Sunday, October 31st, aka. Halloween, was my last day of work and also the day of the Survivor/Halloween party. Below is a picture of my two supervisors and I singing the rap that he wrote about Bryce Canyon. I learned through this experience that I am really not a good rapper and in fact, should never attempt to take Karaoke seriously! haha. It was a lot of fun and yes I am the Zebra creature that you see. I found a cardigan today in Zebra print, but I thought that might be a little over the top. Thoughts?

Below are Nick and Becky with myself. One of the greatest aspects of working seasonal employment, especially in National Parks is that you meet awesome people from all over. They are definitely a couple of the many that I am going to miss! Thank goodness for Facebook! haha

On my last two days in the park, I packed up and moved out of my room as well as went back to a few of my favorite places in the park, and finally took a picture with the Bryce Canyon sign. It was also in the high sixties the last two days, absolutely perfect weather.

This is one final shot from Inspiration Point (my favorite view point in the entire park) looking into Bryce Amphitheater. I have to say, even after three months, climbing up to the upper view point still kills me. I just hiked the grand canyon and I'm suffering from an inability to breath climbing up a short hill to a viewpoint. I'm not sure if I understand.

The picture below is from a viewpoint called Paria View. Surprisingly I saved this one for my very last full day in the park. I was kind of glad I did, as I got to see something I had never seen before and as I told Kensie yesterday, right now, I really want to be where I've never been before right now. It was beautiful and a wonderful conclusion to an amazing three months of my life.

So now I have left. I am in Provo and leaving tomorrow to hopefully make it all the way to South Dakota. I think Utah is absolutely beautiful, but I'm ready for something else, and as beautiful as it is, it's also completely bizarre in a lot of ways. If you want to discuss it at some point let me know and I will pull out my notes. So first stop South Dakota, then on to Michigan to visit my wonderful aunt and uncle. Don't worry, there will be a plethora of stories created along the way. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment