I can’t help but be fully immersed
in the countdown of my time left in Rwanda these days. Especially without a
computer, and at least for a day or two each week without power, I find myself
with less and less to do, and more times to either drive myself crazy, read
(although I only have a couple books left), eat (which I do a lot of), or
simply sit and think about how drastically my life is changing but how slowly
it seems to be doing so. Granted, one month is really not that long of time,
but it seems somewhat like it’s dragging through the stasis of my life these
days. I can see the horizon of emotions, the sadness to go, the excitement to
leave, the anticipation of travel and being back home, yet right now, it’s just
static. So I am trying to fill my time with the little things, like I did in
the beginning, the small goals… today I am going to buy food, today I am going
to do laundry, today I am going to visit this person, rather than ticking of
the list of tasks I’ve kept myself busy with for the last two years.
It does seem to be giving me time to
be a little more spontaneous however, most notably last Saturday going to Guma
Guma Superstar 3 in Nyamagabe. This is kind of like the Rwandan version of
American Idol. Down to ten singers/groups, they are touring the country and
performing for free on a temporary stage made out of an RV or something. The
people can come, watch and then text their votes in to the organization. It all
started Friday evening. Another PCV and I were saying what we thought was our
final farewell to Nyamagabe and toasting to our last two years, when a group of
people comes in with a bunch of Primus (the PBR of Rwanda, and the main sponsor
of Guma Guma) shwag and an “awesome” cutout where you could stick your face in
the hole and become one of the stars. I won a Guma Guma hat and we took our
pictures in the hole, and discovered that Guma Guma was coming to Nyamagabe the
next day! With a little prodding from my friend, she convinced me and a couple
others to go the next day to Guma Guma.
Saturday began with my site mate,
Nick, coming and making me pretty amazing belated birthday cinnamon rolls,
after which we headed to Nyamagabe to meet the others and begin the Guma Guma
adventure. I think in previous blog postings I’ve talked about the sometimes
mortifying, sometimes obnoxious, and sometimes awesome benefits of being a
foreigner in Rwanda. One of these is that you are often offered the nicer
seats, which are usually more comfortable, shielded from the sun, and at the
very front of whatever is happening. I admittedly have taken advantage of this
at different times, for example receiving seats under tarps to protect me from
the rain or sun, or getting a nicer seat on a bus to avoid being squished between
creepy or somewhat drunk men. There are times when I have actively refused
this, like at church when they’d like me to sit in front of the entire
congregation as an “honored” guest, or to take one of the five nice chairs at
the front of Genocide Commemoration ceremonies.
The VIP lounge was pretty darn nice.
We were never without a dry glass, but I also felt like “one of those” expats.
I do think there is a place for each type of aid agency and aid worker, but I
must admit that I tend to appreciate the Peace Corps model a bit more than the
others, maybe simply because I’m headlong into it these days. There’s something
to be said for the way we live, in my case in a house comprable to my
coworkers, making about the same money each month as some of my coworkers and
less then some others, taking public transportation (no agency labeled range
rover driving me around). We work to become a part of the community and learn
the language, and attempt the mythological feat of grassroots development, a
task particularly difficult in Rwanda which utilizes the top-down approach
seemingly exclusively.
So, ingrained in me has become the
desire and the drive to try to be “one of the community” to be seen as an equal
(this was probably a part of me before admittedly), yet here I am instantly
getting taken to the VIP section without a single word of protest on my part,
and enjoying myself (in spite of the ringing in my ears for the next two days).
I watched the teenagers constantly being pushed away from the barrier as they
danced too close, some of them drinking Primus without a care in the world that
the cops in front of them would enforce some semblance of a drinking age law. I
was mortified when one of the artists came off the stage and tried to drag me
and another volunteer up there to dance, and relieved when it was vehemently
shot down by a stage hand who yelled, “No white people!” at us. So we (and I
thankfully) danced just in the grass by the VIP lounge, but still drew enough
attention to have our pictures taken and posted on the organizations Facebook
page.
For almost three hours we watched
the musicians and the crowds, we sang along to the songs we knew, and gawked at
some of the provocative dancing we were watching. One teenage boy was brought
on stage and continued to grope and fondle the hostess of the event for a good
five-ish minutes. I couldn’t help thinking that if that were me that boy would
probably have been slapped up-side the head right quick! I kind of feel like an
old conservative lady now, writing that (no offense to old conservative ladies). Towards the end of the performance when the
bad brews and loud music finally started to wear on me, the music seemed to
turn into a repetitive mantra of “hejeru, hejeru” or telling the crowd to put
their hands up… what had happened to the music? And we were all disappointed
that the one female artist, Knowless, did not make an appearance.
After the show we headed back into
downtown and said our (what I think will be) final farewells to Nyamagabe and
the Golden Monkey Restaurant. It was a fun way to finish that part of
my
experience. As for work these days, my counterpart (the health center employee
who partnered with me on my animal husbandry project) Flandrie and I, agreed to
go to one of the five cells in my sector each week for my remaining five weeks
and visit the community health workers (CHWs) who have animals there. Two weeks
down and three to go. It has gone well so far, there are some participants who
have baby chickens right now, and others who complained that someone stole all
of their animals. So a mixed bag I guess.
We
hiked about 13 miles that day visiting people, and I was greeted by name repetitively
by different community members and children. My counterpart turned to me
towards the end of the trip and said “So many people know you, and nobody knows
me.” I explained that I’ve actively chosen to walk to all the rural villages
the last two years rather than be seen as just another foreigner passing
through on a moto. It felt pretty awesome though to see and feel the effects of
this decision after two years, to see something so tangible as being more known
in rural villages than my Rwandan counterpart. At one point a group of kids
passed us and one of them yelled out “umuzungu” or “white person,” to which
another kid calmly turned and said, “she is not umuzungu, she is the one who
makes the children laugh.” That was pretty awesome too, even if the kids were
calling me a clown. I think I would rather have spent the last two years being
called a clown than white person.
So
rarely in this experience do we get to see the tangible benefits of what we
have done, and this simple walk through my community really showed me what I’ve
done and who I am to these people. Although it might sound relatively conceded,
it makes me feel pretty good that I am already remembered for being more
friendly and present than my co-workers, and also for my sense of humor. As
this countdown becomes ever smaller, I have been struggling with my common
frustrations, being stared at, being treated differently for my skin color,
being identified by my skin color. I call my friend here daily and sigh into
the phone venting about some idiot staring at me for an entire bus ride, or
some woman trying to increase the price of her peas because of my skin color.
It’s tiring, and I must admit I’m happy the end is very much in sight.
Pictures: 1. Rita, Christine and me celebrating my birthday and one final farewell to Butare. 2. CHW Marcelline in front of the chicken house she built for the animal husbandry project. 3. Nick, Griff and Christine posing as Guma Guma Supertars. 4. The stage at Guma Guma. 5. Christine and I with the Guma Guma sign. 6. The sign for my work and the main road passing by it that goes all the way to the DRC. 7. Looking back on my village, just under the big hill. 8. One of the baby chickens. 9. Flandrie and me after marching up one of the many hills.
No comments:
Post a Comment