So, that’s it. I just had my final meeting with PC staff and as of midnight tomorrow night, I will officially be an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer). I don’t really know how I got to this point… The last two years were full of ups and downs and crazy turns, and a few upside downs as well. Somehow through all of that I have emerged where I am now and as who I am now, although I still don’t really grasp what all of that means and what it all looks like. If all goes according to plan, I am on a bus, heading out of Rwanda at 4 am tomorrow, on to Zambia, and then back in the United States in 10 days.
My last few weeks have been amazing, full of more love and positivity than I ever thought I would receive in this experience. It is often said that Peace Corps and volunteer service go without much outward appreciation or validation, and this has definitely been true about much of my service. But these last few weeks were the complete opposite. With only one week left in my village, I jointly threw a good-bye party with my health center. Due to the abundance of free time I have had since my computer charger died, I was able to write every single health center employee a thank you letter accompanied by a picture of us together. In true Rwandan fashion, we got off to a late start, only acquiring the two cases of Fanta 15 minutes before the intended start time, although we actually didn’t start for another hour.
Off to an awkward
start, the main event (for me) of the party was when each of my co-workers
stood up and in turn told me what they liked about me, what they’ll miss about
me, and what they’ll remember about me. I was somewhat surprised to hear what
they had to say about their two years spent with me, things that I definitely
want to be remembered for. Almost everyone commented on how happy I am, how
friendly. Their observations however also extended to how I greet every single
person, how punctual I am (which I’ve really tried to become more lax in), my
interest in all people, rich and poor, and how much I apparently love to work. To
be honest, they give me way too much credit, and I’m really happy that people
aren’t mind readers. I am so surprised though by the things they are holding on
to when I thought so many people were relatively indifferent to my existence or
at least the person I hoped I was emanating.
I also had many “goodbye” events in my community. One day I went up to the environmental college and said goodbye to all of the amazing people there. The nuns had me over for dinner where they treated me to wine, an entire cooked rabbit, and a bowl of fresh strawberries picked from their garden. I visited my favorite shopkeepers and community members, made banana bread for several people, and even had omelets with my great friend Justin for my “last supper” of sorts. I received a lot of gifts - jewelry, a basket, a statue of an old man drinking banana beer, a woven purse, and a map of Rwanda… Currently my absurdly overstuffed bags are sitting here next to me, and I’m trying not to think about the journey ahead in which I must lug them, across three different countries, through three different airports on the way home, and then back to Central Oregon… fingers crossed!
After the community
goodbyes, I went back to where it all started, Kamonyi, to say goodbye to my
host family. All of the kids came home for the weekend, and with my host
family’s new trainee from the new health group, we numbered 12 in the house. It
was a bit hectic at times but so much fun. It was great to be together with
everyone again. I stayed up until 11 pm one night talking to my oldest host
brother about everything from our definitions of faith, as well as politics and
the values in humanity that we think most important. I cooked with my host
sisters, danced with them and walked with them. We visited community members
who have called out my name happily in greeting every time I’ve gone back over
the last two years. I said goodbye and hugged each one of the kids before
school, then spent the rest of the morning sorting beans and grinding cassava
with the two oldest.
Tomorrow I am off, and
soon back to the states, and soon maybe I will be able to rest again, then the
puzzle pieces will begin to maybe make sense, or at least will present
themselves to me so I can begin trying to piece them into the person I am
becoming and hope to be. What an experience… what an adventure… what a world!
Thank you all again for so much support, immense support, that you gave me over
the last two years. I’m so lucky, and I couldn’t have asked for a better way to
finish being a Peace Corps Volunteer.
Pictures: 1.Last glimpse of Nyungwe National Park from my front door. 2.Thanking my co-worker for his kind words about me. 3.The health center staff at my going away party. 4.Nick (my site-mate and I) at my going away party. 5.Saying goodbye to the nuns at my goodbye dinner. 6.Justin and me on my last day in Kitabi. 7.Me and my host fam - Back row: Nafta, Fragile, Ephrem, Immaculee, Chantal, Me, Aline, Middle Row: Byishimo and Saj, Front Row: Pastor Bonnke and Mama Dorcas. 8.Saj and me. 9.Nafta and I sorting beans. 10.Easperance (PC training staff member) and myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment